Sunday, December 17, 2006

A CRAZY LITTLE NIGHT :-(

On friday night (about 1 a.m.), Mark and I were coming down the Sundance canyon road after a work party. It had been snowing pretty hard for a couple of hours and they had not plowed the roads. So with about 3 inches of snow on the road I was made sure to drive REALLY slow (15 mph). We were chatting about the night when I hit a spot on the road and we started to slide. My first reaction was to pump the brakes and turn the wheel so I could get traction back to the tires but to no avail, all the while yelling to Mark "What do I do, what do I do?" We were headed straight for the mountain or into the river depending on how the car wanted to slide. So as we were sliding (mind you this is in the space of about 10 seconds... which was really and eternity to us) I kept thinking "please, please, please slide into the mountain not the river". Well God must have been listening because we did just that. We hit the mountain pretty much straight on, when up a bit at which point I yelled to Mark "we're gonna roll" he yelled back "put your hands on the roof of the car", and we flipped. So here's the scene: Mark and I are hanging upside down like two bats in a cave looking at eachother in complete bewilderment.
Me: Are you o.k.?
Mark: Yeah, I'm o.k., you o.k.?
Me: Yeah I'm fine. Can you open your window, mines busted and I don't want to crawl through glass.
Mark: Better yet, I can open my door.
So Mark opened his door and crawled out. While I am still haning upside down I see a car coming down the canyon I yelled to Mark to come around to my side, and as the car neared it kind of slowed a bit and then just kept on going... WHAT THE HELL? Did that just happen? Who does that? Thank goodness that was the ONLY idiot that night... well next to the police officer. So I braced myself, unclicked my seat belt and crawled out. So here is Mark and I standing next to our car that's on it's hood, it's completely dark and it's snowing pretty hard. SURREAL. We look at eachother with blank stares and embrace, saying over and over again "I love you". Then with our luck, the plow came down the mountain, oooooo.kkkkkk. It was really weird, never once did we panic or get freaked out. Mark calmly called 911, and the next vehicle to stop was a cool lady that let us sit in her car while we waited for the emergency crew to show up. The ambulance was the first to arrive, so we hung out inside the ambulance while everyone filled out their reports. The tow truck guy was able to flip the car and get in on his truck in fifteen minutes and then he kindly gave us a ride home. The whole thing lasted about 3 hours. *By the way, I got a speeding ticket... going 15 mph on a 35 mph road. Apparently I was going too fast for conditions, and when I questioned the officer he told me " well I have to give everyone a ticket, because that's what my commanding officer wants, and he's going to question me about it if I don't give you one. But don't worry, it will only be on your record for 3 years... blah, blah, blah".
I am soooo grateful, even through the car and the ticket, that Mark and I are safe and well. We were able to come home to our beautiful girls and everything is going to be o.k.